Bowman Cemetery (Bowman Park)
Three Rivers, Saint Joseph County, Michigan
Lat: 41° 57' 15"N, Lon: 85° 38' 02"W
Contributed by Ed Houghtaling, Feb 07, 2005 [email@example.com]. Total records = 1.
Bowman Park is located in the first ward of Three Rivers. It is bounded on the north by Hoffman St., on the south by Cushman St., on the east by East Street, and on the west by Main Street.
It was given to the city by the Bowman family as a cemetery, but was seen to be to small by the 1850's. Oak Dale Cemetery was purchased and laid out on October 2, 1858, in the fourth ward, along the banks of the St. Joseph River. The name was changed to Riverside Cemetery on January 11, 1859, and remains as such today.
All the bodies except Caroline Fellows Bowman Winn, were exhumed, and re-interred in Riverside Cemetery. Her is located in the north-west corner of Bowman Park.
There was a G.A.R. statue originally located at the intersection of Main St. and Michigan Ave., which was re-located to the center of Bowman Park.
- Ed Houghtaling
Winn, Caroline Fellows Bowman, b. 1815, d. 1851, dau/o Abiel Fellows, Revolutionary Soldier
Michigan Obituaries and Death Notices