|Click photo to enlarge|
Greenbush, Roseau County, Minnesota
Lat: 48° 43' 11"N, Lon: 96° 08' 53"W
Barto Township, T161N R42W Section 36
Contributed by Marjorie Broten, Mar 07, 2010, last edited May 17, 2010 [email@example.com]. Total records = 5.
The cemetery directions leaving Greenbush drive east on Highway #11 for 2 miles you will see the cemetery on your left side close to the road.
This cemetery was established in 1896 on approx 1/4 acre more or less of land along with the Hvidso Scandinavian Evangelistic Lutheran Congregation (the group known then as the "Forenede" Church) in 1895. Then organized by a group of early settlers which lived along the sand ridge east of the present day town of Greeenbush. Most of the 50 members here at the time of closing joined the Bethania Free Church just 3 miles north of this area. There was no church built here by the cemetery. Other names for this cemetery are the Pioneer Haven or Ridge Cemetery. The cemetery is no longer used for burials.
The cemetery was later owned by the United Free and is in fair condition, the many unmarked graves tell us the families of these may no longer have relatives living near the area for helping care for cemetery. The near by neighbors come to give a helping hand when possible.
I did a complete walk thru reading all visible headstones, completed transcript as of Apr 20, 2010. A digital camera has been used for pictures.- Marjorie Broten
b. = born
d. = died
d/o = daughter of
s/o = son of
s/w = shares stone with
w/o = wife of
( ) = author's comments
Evenson, Clarence Theodore, b. 22 May 1887, d. 21 Dec 1902
Evjen, Kari O., b. 11 Feb 1832 (1820), d. 7 Aug 1897 (4 Sep 1897*)
Evjen, Ole E., b. 3 Jun 1899, d. 5 Jul 1903
Sather, Oliver Alander, b. Dec 1903, d. 3 Feb 1904
Thompson, Mrs. Pete, b. /d. no dates, mother of Cora Hanson
- Old Bethania Records for Kari Evjen (*difference on date & age is listed as 77 ½ years)
- Erling Nestaby spoke of Mrs. Thompson buried here. (noted from previous record)
- unmarked graves of approx 15 persons no names or markers (grave depressions)
- Families knowing of loved ones buried here are welcomed to email information to me (these people that have moved away from this area may also hold information that can be shared)
- Atlas of 1913, 1935, 1942, 1960, 1973, 1976, 1998
- Deed Record (have not located one)
- Pioneers I & II
- Remembrances Anthology of RC MN
- Roseau County Heritage Book 1992
- Roseau County Highway Map 2008
- Roseau County Court House
- Roseau County Museum
Minnesota Genealogy Links
Search Minnesota Cemeteries
Clear Digital Media, Inc.