Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery
St. Louis, Missouri
|Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery|
GPS: 38.501387, -90.288159
2900 Sheridan Road
St. Louis, MO 63125
Published: July 2000
Total records = 132,045
Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery is maintained by the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery was formally established in 1866 by passage of a joint resolution. However, the first burial occurred years before, on Aug. 5, 1827 when the cemetery was Jefferson Barracks Army Post. The original portion of the cemetery is located in the northeastern section of the present site, containing Sections 1-4, and OPS-1, OPS-2, and OPS-3. It was set aside for the burial of military and civilian personnel who died at the garrison.
In 1869 the cemetery experienced enormous growth when more than 10,200 recovered remains of soldiers originally buried at other Missouri locations including Cape Girardeau, Pilot Knob, Warsaw, and Rolla were removed here. About 470 victims of smallpox at Arsenal Island were also reinterred here.
The old cemetery contains approximately 20,000 gravesites, including more than 1,000 Confederate dead. During this era, Union dead were interred in sections by state, as far as that could be determined, including: 7,536 Whites, 1,067 African Americans, 1,010 Confederate POWs, and 556 "not of military service." Within the original cemetery tract, Sections 5 through 53 were laid out; the sections currently numbered 54-66, and 88, contain older burials but are irregularly numbered because the ponds, sink holes and administrative open space was converted to burial areas.
Records published here were acquired from the US Department of Veterans Affairs in July 2000. The VA noted at the time they were in the process of correcting data entry errors. Reports of any errors should be directed to them.
Missouri Obituaries and Death Notices
Post a Note / Submit Records
Post a note, make a comment, or submit your burial records for this cemetery...