Saint Paul Cemetery
Saint Paul, Marion County, Oregon
Lat: 45°16.01N, Lon: 122°49.55W
Contributed by Deanna Warren, Feb 20, 2001 [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Total records = 1,052.
Directions: Go out River Road in St. Paul which turns into Main Street heading North. Take a right on "G" Street which turns into Hwy 49. Just before it becomes Highway 49 you will see the St. Paul Cemetery.
This information is being provided with the permisson of Lucille Geigle, author of Walking Through The Cemeteries, Volume III written in the Summer of 1994.
This cemetery is approximately 1 Acre in size with approximately 1300 burial sites but many plots still vacant. Cemetery established in 1875. It is noted as the chosen burial place of Francis N. Blanchet, first Archbishop of Oregon who died in 1883. Other priests are buried here as well.
The Sisters burial site is known as the "Nuns Corner." A mortuary Chapel over their gravestones graced the back of this cemetery overlooking Mission Creek, torn down in 1939. A monument inside the fenced lawn now marks the site. NOTE: The Sisters of Notre Dame departed for California missions in 1852 and the arrival of the Sisters of the Holy Names in 1859.
When the new parist cemetery was opened in 1875 and the Sisters' Mortuary Chapel built, the sisters that had been buried in a corner of the convent garden at St. Paul were reinterred in the (new) St. Paul Cemetery that opened in 1875. Sister Renilde (Melanie Goemaeres) of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur was the first burial, along with the Sisters of Holy Names (the first eight of the following list) that had been buried in the corner of the convent garden.
- Deanna Warren
- Miscellaneous: Unidentifiable listings
Deaths & Obituaries: Newspapers 1690-Present