|Click photo to enlarge|
Mount Antioch Cemetery
Limestone County, Texas
Lat:31° 43' 46"N, Lon: 96° 51' 00"W
Contributed by Bruce Jordan, Jun 28, 2002 [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Total records = 928.
7 miles north of Prairie Hill on FM 339 on the left or west side of the road.
In 1854, three families settled in this area naming it Mt. Antioch. As early as 1846, this site was used for the burial of those who died while passing through the area. The graves of these individuals remain unmarked. The first marked grave in what became the Mt. Antioch Cemetery was that of George Kimmel (d. 1860), the infant son of James Kimmel
Although the community no longer exists, the cemetery continues to be used and maintained by the local residents and descendants of the early settlers.
These burial records represent all the people in the cemetery as of June 2002, compiled from reading the tombstones.
Listings with an asterisk * were reported in a survey taken in the late 1970's, but were not located in the 2002 survey:- Bruce Jordan
Deaths & Obituaries: Newspapers 1690-Present