Govan (Monroe) Cemetery
Lincoln County, Washington
T26N R32E Section 20
Contributed by Pat Rice, Mar 14, 2000, last edited Apr 18, 2009
Total records = 8.
Govan Cemetery is closed with it's burials moved to Wilbur.
This cemetery is also identified as the Monroe Cementery, although
not a name known in its own area. The cemetery was located on the
north side of the intersection of Andersen and Govan roads.
According to a life-long resident of Govan (pop. 6), between
1972 and 1975 the county wanted that property for other purposes
and so moved the few graves that were there to Wilbur. This resident
said his mother told him that they missed some of graves.
In checking the Wilbur Cemetery books, all those listed were indeed
moved to Wilbur, but the records do not show specifically where
within the Wilbur Cemetery the burials are. The records also indicate
that this is a recent acknowledgement.
The data comes from material gathered by the Big Bend Historical
Society and on file at the Spokane Public Library, Genealogy Dept,
Spokane Wa. It was not included in Lartiques Tombstones of Lincoln
Co., pub. 1972.
Collected by Pat Rice and Marge Womach, June 1999
NOTE: THESE NAMES ALSO APPEAR WITH THE WILBUR CEMETERY RECORDS.
Chinn, Lucille, d.22 Aug 1908, 2y 1m, resident of Govan
Peffley, baby, d.4 Sept 1906, lot owned by J.B. Peffley (of
Rumberg, baby, d.8 Nov. 1906, premature birth, of Govan
Turner, Elsie S, d.14 Apr 1906, 16y 7m; last resided in Michigan,
lot owned by C.S. Turner
Tuttle, Theadore J., drowned 14 June 1904, (swimming in a
nearby lake, got tangled in the weeds. Possibly attempting to save
his twin brother.)
Strickert, Dora Ellen, b.2 Oct 1906 16 Oct 1906 d/o Lena
(Wilken) and John
Wilken, Elmer B., b.2 Jan 1908 6 Jan 1908 s/o Carl and Emelie
Wolfe, Franklin, d.6 Oct 1906, 1y 4m; lot owned by J.T. Wolfe
Washington Genealogy Links