Sunnyslope Church of the Brethren Cemetery
Chelan County, Washington
N School St, Sunnyslope WA
Lat: 47° 28' 43"N, Lon: 120° 20' 45"W
T22N R20E Sec 20
Contributed by Frank Neher, Sep 29, 2000, updated Jun 20, 2002 [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Total records = 927.
Driving directions to the cemetery from Wenatchee, Chelan County, Washington: Take US 2 and 97 west from North Wenatchee Avenue after crossing the Wenatchee River Bridge, proceed west to the top of the hill and take a right turn onto School Street. Proceed to the stop sign at the Old Highway and continue one block to the cemetery on the left at Knowles Road. Off street parking and the cemetery entrance are on Knowles Road.
A physical inventory was taken in Oct 1998 by Kay Law Livermore and Elma Law Rasmussen and was updated in Nov 1999 by Kay Livermore, Frank Neher and Lisa Robinson. Additional information was furnished by Dennis Roth, Church of the Brethren Historian, obituaries extracted by Kay Livermore. June Stutzman, cemetery sexton, furnished records and plot maps. Approximately 1, 000 burials have been made since the first one in fall of 1902. History: In the fall of 1902 Arthur Gunn, who owned a large part of the Sunnyslope property, persuaded Rev. Amos Benjamin Peters to make a second trip to the Wenatchee Valley for the purpose of forming a settlement at Sunnyslope. Rev. Peters, elder of the Church of the Brethren, located near Cando, North Dakota, was accompanied by several men from the congregation. They purchased land for themselves and took out options on property for their friends. Rev. A. B. Peters, his family, and other first settlers of Sunnyslope, arrived in Wenatchee by train on 31 Dec 1902. The need for a cemetery came all too soon. The first burial was that of Elizabeth Peters Baughman, wife of William Baughman and eldest daughter of Rev. Peters, who dies of pneumonia on 18 Mar 1903 at the age of 35. She was buried in the Sunnyslope Cemetery on 21 Mar 1903. Although this cemetery is a community cemetery, many of those buried here were members of the Church of the Brethren.
The Sunnyslope Church of the Brethren, located across Knowles Road from the cemetery, was organized on 15 Aug 1903. Services were held in the school until the first church was built on the site in 1905. The first church burned in 1939 and building of the present church as completed in 1940.- Frank Neher
15 Unknown burial places
6 Unknown, Infant burials places
Deaths & Obituaries: Newspapers 1690-Present